Skip to main content

Apparently Twitter's Report Button Is For Personal Grievances

 So I'm suspended off Twitter for a week. Why?

 

I got into a battle with a checkmark.


The elders among us will recognize this as the sigil of a relentless and dangerous enemy.

 

Apparently, I've made 'hateful comments' and I need to be 'punished.' And despite the fact that I've definitely said some questionable things on Twitter, there wasn't a hateful thing in this reply.

However what I was replying to on the other hand -

 "Let's vote them into oblivion." definitely isn't a loving statement.

 

The way Twitter's report function works is that if enough people report your Tweet for hateful content, then they'll flag it and demand you delete it. Regardless of whether it's actually hateful. I'm guessing the boys in this guy's replies didn't feel like fighting fair today, because not even two minutes later I got hit with this. 

 


And the reason they stated I was being suspended is because they don't allow targeted harassment of anyone based upon "race, religion (I beg to differ), gender, or income". Well, this tweet obviously isn't directed at any group. Obviously. So who am I harassing? The guy who made the initial tweet? The "terrible Americans and worse humans who need to be voted into oblivion?" Joe Biden?

 

As we all know the most heinous form of harassment is the dreaded

 "not harassing anyone at all." Look at these two monsters.

Of course, it's far more likely that Mr. Blue Checkmark saw my response to his nonsensical tweet, and couldn't comprehend why I wasn't agreeing with him, so he reported it. And don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those guys that try to demand that people with massive online platforms be responsible with the things they say (I think I gave up that right when I published a book about a talking pillow sexually assaulting homeless people.) I honestly don't think it's my place to police anyone's stupidity. But when you see a guy broadcasting borderline intolerance to thousands of people (a good bit of whom he probably has some level of influence on), it doesn't hurt to chime in and call him out. Couple that with the fact that this guy made a serious of tweets, and this was the tamest of them. The other ones were a bunch of horrible zingers implying anyone who doesn't like Joe Biden is an idiotic Trump-loving redneck who's going to die of coronavirus. And the replies are a bunch of people saying the same shit to different levels of happiness. I don't know what kind of platform Twitter is, that its top people are celebrating the imagined deaths of hundreds of others simply because they don't support the president. Or why the narrative is that not liking Joe Biden means you love Trump and you also hate science and fuck your sister. Flawless logic from the Blue Checkmark crowd. You can definitely see why they'd rather report you instead of actually replying to you.

I guess I said all this to say, follow me on Twitter. (After my suspension is up.) And support alternative tech sites like Minds and Gab. They may be cesspools of insane rhetoric, but at least they won't suspend you for arguing with the people who say dumb shit.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Time Twitter Tried To Get Me Killed For Criticizing The Quran

  Hey! I guess this first post is going to set the tone on what this place is going to be. (And no it isn't going to be a visual tutorial on shitty 2002-era website design.)    That's what r/Ooer is for... Anyways, I like Twitter.  I like it a lot. But I also simultaneously hate its guts. Especially the way Jack Dorsey and his team of woke techies try to keep the platform "an unbiased safe space for all ideas from all different backgrounds." Like the time Twitter Legal sent me an email notifying me that one of my tweets had broken the fucking law. In Pakistan... You see despite what my exotic good looks, and explosive charm would have you think, I'm not Pakistani. Which means I don't have to follow Pakistani laws. I can retweet that same tweet all day, everyday and the Nation of Pakistan can't do shit about it.  Which is why I wasn't too upset until I did some digging around and found the penal code for the law I was being accused of breaking and rea